So, What's It Like?

I've been hearing for years that retirement is a Great New Adventure.  So far it doesn't feel like that.  It's more like, well, an Endless Weekend.

In my experience most weekends consist of some free time, some chores, and (sometimes) not having to worry about going to work the next day.  And that's what the first four days of retirement have been like.

I have a list of chores I have assigned myself.  Some of them have been on that list for years, waiting for this golden opportunity.  And the result of that is that whatever I do I feel guilty that I am not doing something else.  Writing fiction? Why aren't I sorting those clothes?  Sorting clothes, I should be exercising.  Exercising, I should be editing a story.  And so on.

Hey, I was raised Catholic.  It's all about guilt.

None of this is a complaint, by the way.  Just observations.  I suspect that during the rainy winter I will be complaining that I have nothing to do.  But for now my gripe is: "How did it get to dinner time when I have so much more to get done!"


Comments

Popular Posts